Lok Samvad-The Political Science Society
Lok Samvad Society, with core idea of dissemination of knowledge of politics to students in creative and participatory way, came into existence in 2013-14. The Department of Political Science took this initiative aiming at engaging students at a platform which can serve as an interface. Through Seminars, Quiz, Debate competitions, Film screening, Talks and other such program, society has tried to bridge the widening gulf between the subject curriculum and political churning going on in the social world. Students involvement both at organizational and at the level of participation has remained the main thrust of the society throughout the year.
In the very first year, Lok Samvad has successfully organized series of events which complemented the syllabus. For instance, areas like social movements, political thoughts, and gender issues were constantly invoked in many of the themes of the above said program organized by the society. Some of the major initiatives of Lok Samvad in the session 2013-14 were as following-
- One day national seminar on “The Role of Women in Gandhi’s Life” on 23rd September 2013, underlined the gender discourse within Gandhian framework.
- An intra-department Quiz Contest on Indian Freedom Struggle (1905-1942) on 3rd October, 2013.
- An interactive session with III Year students on Indian Political Thought on 26th September, 2013. This session was preceded by viewing of an episode of An interactive session with III Year students on Indian Political Thought on 26th September, 2013. This session was preceded by viewing of an episode of Discovery of India on the same theme. on the same theme.
- The department arranged audio video session for 5th semester followed by discussion on the issue of Development Processes and Social Movements in India on 1st Nov, 2013. An interview of Prof Anand Pradhan, IIMC given to BBC Hindi was discussed on the issue of Student Movements in India.
- In the academic semester of July-December 2013, the department conducted one extra class per week for 5th and 6th semester students to prepare them for JNU, DU and other higher studies (TISS and IIMC) entrance examinations.
- A talk on Privatization and Its Impact on Labour by Dr. Maushoumi Basu, JNU. The talk was directly based on BA (Hons.) syllabus of Development Process and Social Movement in Contemporary India”.
- Movie Screening of Hazaro Khawhishe Aisi based on the theme of Naxal movement and emergency politics complementing the syllabus.
- Lok Samvad celebrated the 104th anniversary of International Women’s Day on 8th March 2014. Series of competitions throughout the day, like Essay writing, Slogan writing, Poster/collage making competition, Short Story Writing and Debate took place. The event was intra-college and we had an overwhelming response from the students of various streams.
- As a follow up of the International Women’s Day celebration, the society organized Prize Distribution Ceremony on 5th April, 2014. Ms Praveen Sinclair, Director NCERT graced the occasion.
The Lok Samvad Society pledges to continue with the creative involvement of students outside the classroom program in the session 2014-15 too.